Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Japan - Post Earthquake Happenings

Well, truth be told, since the big earthquake and subsequent Tsunami on March 11th we've had little time to rest.  Earthquakes and aftershocks are more or less daily occurrences.  In fact, according to the Japanese media, they recently stated that there were something along the lines of 100+ aftershocks *and* earthquakes within the ensuing week.  And,  as of today I am assuming that number has more or less doubled.



Some friends of mine who are affiliated/have their own congregation (Church) here in Tokyo were able to get special permission from the Japanese government to travel on the highways despite heavy heavy restrictions on travel - your average Japanese person had no such privilege.

Even though I am not a religious person the people at Kamizoku Church in Tokyo were incredibly kind to me and allowed me to tag along and help out.  They were receiving semi-truck loads of goods from the US bases near Tokyo and doing their best to bring it up in smaller car loads so as to target the relief centers most in need.

  
So, a week after the Earthquake, on the 18th, I headed up to the disaster areas with the aforementioned people to help out with the relief effort.  I spent a few days in Natori (Sendai) and went to 6 or 7 Relief/Refugee Centers throughout the Ishinomaki and Shichigahama areas.  I brought with me about 70% of my clothes (which I gave away) and about $120 worth of candy for the kids and elderly, and of course I brought foodstuffs with as well.


In the end, it was the single most humbling experience of my life.  I cannot tell you how many times my group members and I were without words only to just sigh at what was in front of us.  We hear this often - it's cliche, I know.  But when no words suffice it really makes you stop and think about everything.  I feel blessed and lucky to be alive!

So, hear we are, a little over a month has passed and aside from the ongoing, ever-worsening nuclear disaster the Japanese people and those living here in Japan are doing their very best to press on.  Tokyo is pretty much back to normal.  Most of the conversations I hear are not about the recent earthquake but about daily life.  I think, if anything, the Japanese people, including myself, would prefer to just move on. 

For now, please check out a few of my photos.  I will be uploading some of my videos at a later date.

Also, good news for Index Ink Japan - new riders and new shops!  More on that very very soon!












No comments:

Post a Comment